Thursday, January 6, 2011


Today I went on a BF run. I headed up to run part of the course of the Trinidad to Clam beach run. I was feeling a bit nervous cause I was not sure how my feet would handle the surface conditions of the road. Certainly parts of the road are far from smooth. Some sections are nice, and smooth. Other sections are pretty rough on the bottom of my virgin bare feet.

It turned out I was pretty tickled. I learned the course is definitely doable. It was a slow run, but I ran the portion of the course that will be the hardest on my feet. At this point is is going to be about simply toughening up the bottom of my feet. I need to start to get away from the Hammond trail, and onto more city type streets with more coarse surface conditions. Certainly I should go run the course some more as well before the event day. I was slow today, but left feeling very happy that I could even handle running on those surfaces already. The progression is going great !

I also ran 3.90 miles on today's run. Based on the more advanced surface type I was not expecting to run that far. So I was happy with that very much. I really think I need to combine in training runs. Smoother surfaces to keep extending my distances, but also keep at more coarse conditions to toughen bottom of feet. I don't think I will be the fastest runner at the event, but I will be successful in completion. I'm still very new to this so distance, and speed is just going to take more time/experience.

Due to the coarse conditions of some of the surfaces. It was certainly a challenge for my skin. Not even really the skin more so the sensory receptors communicating with my brain. It is just something my nervous system needs to get more acquainted with. Later in the run with bottom of feet getting kind of tender my form was falling off a bit. Towards the very end of the run I accidentally dragged my left great toe. The road was pretty rough at that section. So I shaved a bit of skin off to cause bleeding. So today was my second war mark. These things will improve over time. Minor occurrences, and lessons learned......On the other hand today's run seemed to clear out the blood blister. It actually looks a lot better after today's run. Go figure.

Sat should be my next run to add distance, and hopefully include some more coarse surface conditioning.

In upcoming posts I hope to discuss the social experiences of being BF.

No comments:

Post a Comment