Saturday, August 27, 2011

Barefeet in the gym ?

Yes I do go bare for my workouts for excersice.

Some background I have been doing workouts barefoot for about three years now. I played with it originally in a more conventional gym back when I first started doing it. I live in a rural area so we don't have super big box gyms here. I tend to train in a unconventional manner so at one point I left that gym. I moved on to a more warehouse type gym with a open floor plan, and very few rules. I took on the barefoot workouts full force when I went to this gym. It was exciting ! I did trade work so I did not have to pay anything to use the gym, and had a key to use any time I desired.

More recently I have decided to not use that warehouse gym. I have been phasing myself away from it over the last 12 months. I really prefer to be outside for excersice. So more recently I have acquired my own equipment. I find gyms to be inconvenient, dirty, not enough air circulation, etc. I like to be out in the elements.

So what equipment do you own Chris ? Well currently I have the following -
barbell and 300 lbs worth of weight
squat stands
empty keg can
wood chopping block(for classic box jumping)
leverage clubs(home made)
iron woody bands variety pack
parallel bars(home made)
jump rope
tire attached to rope that I put weights on top. It gets dragged.....
My home made farmer walk handles are still at the warehouse gym.

For each toy you have a large variety of movements choices. The sky is the limit really. I hope to install a pull up bar soon, get some bumper plates possibly, a few kettle bells. Why not dumbbells ? Well I can do a assortment of stuff with the barbell even single armed.

I have these toys at home, and I always use them outside. It is so much more enjoyable ! I am quite knowledgeable of moving the body. I tend to be self motivated, and know lots of movements with free weights. I go heavy, but I also like to do drills at more mild weight doing numerous rounds. This is my version of cardio. I don't use the boring cardio machines. I do it in a much more creative manner. I certainly have a artistic side, and this can be seen in my workouts.

I also do other outdoor stuff like biking, hiking, backpacking. Things like this that can be barefooted, or not sometimes.

Sometimes when I travel I have no choice to wear a shoe at a gym I may visit. In this type of case I would usually just wear my vivo barefoot aqua shoe. It's comfy when I must have a shoe on.

You'll see a few pics attached



of some of the equipment in my yard......


I also love to go out to the beach. You pick just the right size/weight piece of driftwood, and you can have a fun full body workout.

I just find it very empowering to workout on my own terms, and not having to rely on some gym to get the job done. If you have the knowledge you can do a kick ass job with just basic tools !

What about the winter is a common question ? Well we mostly get rain it does get cold at times. Alaska, or cold Canadien fronts come down sometimes. I do not always have to excersice. Rest is always good as well. Though in general it is very realistic to workout outside between winter storms. So you just have to pay attention to the forecast.

I do admit I tend to be unique in this aspect. Add my silly barefeet on top of that ! Fun, fun.......

No comments:

Post a Comment